A “state of the art” Tourist Reception Center (TRC) cum headquarters of the Madhya Pradesh Tourism is easily the most visible symbol of resurgence in the tourism sector of the state. Buzzing with activity and positive energy on all days of the week, a visitor to this building would appreciate the rapid strides in tourism taken by the state in a very short time frame.
In so far as the richness and diversity of tourism destinations is concerned, Madhya Pradesh is easily the best state of the nation. Also known as the “Tiger State of India, the state has three world heritage sites namely Sanchi, Bheembetka and Khajuraho. In the last few years, the Government of Madhya Pradesh has initiated a number of measures to position the state as the leading tourism state of the nation. While considerable work has been done and the state is now being recognized as one of the leading tourism states of the nation, much more still needs to be done.
The strategy for achieving the desired objective has been based on the following :
- Revitalizing the state tourism development corporation and running the same on professional lines. All the commercial and non-commercial establishments of the corporation have been renovated and are now being run professionally. The corporation is now a profit making entity. The units of the corporation are divided into the following broad heads.
- Hotels and Units
- Restaurants/Way side amenities
- Boat Clubs
- Information Counters
- Sound & Light Shows
- Adventure Zones
- Transport Section
- Marketing Offices, Regional Offices, Head Office
- Improving tourist infrastructure – With assistance from the Government of India, Ministry of Tourism tourist infrastructure is rapidly being improved at almost all important tourist destinations.
- Improving connectivity – Over the last few years, roads linking almost all important tourist destinations have improved. Air connectivity to the state has also improved considerably with the starting of a number of new flights.
- Aggressive publicity & promotion – Creative and aggressive publicity and promotional campaigns in print and electronic media has considerably improved the image of the state. Regular participation in domestic and international events has also helped.
- Inviting private investment – Various steps, including creation of a tourism land bank have been taken to attract private investment for building hotels, resorts and entertainment centers.